I’ve made the move to WordPress!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, please visit:
http://asiyaislam.wordpress.com

Hope to see you there!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Why I'll be joining the London SlutWalk (in the Guardian)

(c) Flickr user creatrixtiara
Back home in a small conservative town in India, it would be considered perfectly acceptable to "Eve-tease" me if I went out in "western" attire (aka fitted jeans and T-shirt). In the capital city of the UK, things are surprisingly not very different – I run the risk of being called a slut if I "dare" to go out alone in the night wearing a short dress. The two scenes might not be exactly the same, but there's a common thread running through them – you are a slut provoking sexual attention if you don't conform to male definitions of modesty. And that is exactly what SlutWalk is protesting against.


Read the full article in the Guardian.

No comments:

Post a Comment